Deliciously Sweet Candied Yams with Marshmallows: A Thanksgiving Side Dish Recipe
Candied yams with marshmallows is a classic Thanksgiving side dish that brings warmth and sweetness to the holiday table. This delectable combination of tender yams, rich brown sugar, and gooey marshmallows is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike. The dish not only adds a touch of sweetness to your Thanksgiving feast but also provides a comforting and nostalgic flavor that will have everyone coming back for seconds. Get ready to indulge in this irresistible treat that perfectly balances the flavors of sweet and savory.
Ingredients required for making Candied Yams with Marshmallows
To make this delectable Thanksgiving side dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large yams or sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows (enough to cover the top)
Step-by-step instructions for preparing Candied Yams with Marshmallows
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish.
Step 2: Peel and slice the yams into thick rounds or cubes.
Step 3: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Stir until well combined.
Step 4: Add the yams to the saucepan and toss them in the buttery mixture until evenly coated.
Step 5: Transfer the yams to the greased baking dish, arranging them in a single layer.
Step 6: Cover the dish with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the yams are tender.
Step 7: Remove the foil and sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the yams.
Step 8: Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden and gooey.
Step 9: Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips and variations for enhancing the flavor of Candied Yams with Marshmallows
To enhance the flavor of Candied Yams with Marshmallows, here are some tips and variations you can try.
1. Add a hint of spice: Sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg on top of the yams before baking. This will give them a warm and aromatic flavor.
2. Experiment with different sweeteners: Instead of using just brown sugar, try using maple syrup or honey for a unique twist in taste.
3. Incorporate citrus zest: Grate some orange or lemon zest over the yams before baking to add a refreshing citrusy note to the dish.
4. Toast the marshmallows: For an extra layer of richness, lightly toast the marshmallows under the broiler until they turn golden brown and gooey.
5. Add chopped nuts: Mix in some chopped pecans or walnuts into the candied yam mixture for added crunch and texture.
By trying out these tips and variations, you can elevate the flavors of Candied Yams with Marshmallows and create a truly unforgettable Thanksgiving side dish.
Serving suggestions and pairing options for Candied Yams with Marshmallows
Serving Suggestions and Pairing Options for Candied Yams with Marshmallows:
Candied yams with marshmallows are a versatile dish that can be served in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions and pairing options to enhance your dining experience:
1. Serve as a side dish: Candied yams with marshmallows make a perfect accompaniment to the Thanksgiving turkey or any other roasted meat. The sweet and savory flavors complement each other beautifully.
2. Brunch delight: Add a twist to your brunch menu by serving candied yams with marshmallows alongside pancakes or waffles. The combination of the soft yams, gooey marshmallows, and fluffy pancakes is simply irresistible.
3. Dessert indulgence: Turn this side dish into a decadent dessert by topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. The creamy sweetness of the ice cream pairs perfectly with the caramelized yams and toasted marshmallows.
4. Creative toppings: Experiment with different toppings to add texture and flavor to your candied yams. Consider sprinkling chopped pecans, crushed graham crackers, or even a drizzle of maple syrup for an extra touch of indulgence.
5. Pairing options: To balance out the sweetness of the dish, serve it alongside tangy cranberry sauce or a fresh green salad dressed in vinaigrette. These contrasting flavors will create a harmonious balance on your plate.
Remember, candied yams with marshmallows are not limited to Thanksgiving alone; they can be enjoyed year-round as a comforting side dish or dessert option. Get creative and explore different serving suggestions and pairing options to elevate this classic recipe even further!
In conclusion, Candied Yams with Marshmallows is a delightful Thanksgiving side dish that will surely impress your guests. The combination of sweet yams and gooey marshmallows creates a perfect balance of flavors. This dish not only adds a touch of sweetness to your meal but also brings a comforting and nostalgic feel to the table. Whether you serve it as a side dish or as a dessert, it is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser. So, this Thanksgiving, treat your loved ones to the irresistible taste of Candied Yams with Marshmallows and make lasting memories around the dinner table.
Published: 27. 12. 2023